Pocklington:01759 302205

Market Weighton:01430 872468

Driffield:01377 240 503

What to do when someone dies

Home/Nursing Home

What should I do if a relative has died at home?

When a death which has been expected occurs at home or at a nursing home, the doctor who has been treating the deceased should be contacted. Provided the deceased has seen the doctor during their final illness (within the previous 14 days) the doctor or a colleague will either attend to confirm that death has occurred or will give permission for the deceased to be transferred by us to one of our chapels (if it is your wish for this to happen). Following this contact us. Whenever you call, day or night, you will speak directly to a member of our family. Following your call, we will be in quick attendance to the deceased’s residence. 



What should I do if a relative has died in Hospital?

If a relative who has been a hospital in-patient dies, the doctors who have been treating the deceased will usually be able to issue the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death.

Ask the ward staff or doctor what you need to do to collect this certificate or ring us for advice and contact numbers. Most hospitals will give family members the opportunity to sit with the deceased before transfer from the ward or private room. There may even be a chapel of rest at the hospital specifically for this purpose. The deceased will then be taken to the mortuary from where they will be collected by us.

To speak to a member of our team please telephone: 01759 302205 (Pocklington) 01430 872468 (Market Weighton) or 01377 240503 (Driffield). These lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Download our brochure.

Click to download our latest brochure to view at your convenience.